KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! If you look on my book shelf, you will see the book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis A. Balch. So I was skimming through this amazing book and came across Arthritis. Arthritis is the inflammation of one or more joints. Usually you will feel stiffness and pain, especially during sports activities and when you first get up the in the morning. More than 66 million Americans suffer from some type of arthritis, and I am one of them. With me, it started in my knees, then I developed it in my left ankle, and both of my wrists. Now I don't get flare ups all the time with all of the parts I just mentioned, but when it flares up, it's sort of debilitating. It will suddenly creep up on me and hang around for a week to 5-6 weeks, and then suddenly go away. Some people get swollen around the joint (s). I don't. I just get the sharp pains and throbbing feeling. I have Osteoarthritis which was diagnosed about a year ago from Dr. Zelicof who did looked over my MRI's. Osteoarthritis not only affects the weight bearing joints like the knees, back and hips, but also the hands and knuckles. When Dr. Zelicof told me I had a fractured femur, I laughed because I never fell or banged my leg or knee and had no idea how this happened, and then he told me what I suffered from- Osteoarthritis!
I found out through reading this book some NATURAL ways to alleviate the pains and eat foods that will help. SO if you suffer from Arthritis there are foods you should add to your diet and foods you should try to eliminate and once you eliminate them, see if your arthritis lets up a little.
Foods to ADD to your life!
- Sulfur-containing foods like asparagus, eggs and onions. I won't eat the eggs due to my Vegan lifestyle, but you can.
- Leafy greens that contain vitamin K.
- Oatmeal, brown rice, Soy-bean products, and MY FAV- Avocados
- Eat pineapple frequently. Bromelain, and enzyme found in pineapple, is excellent for reducing inflammation. The pineapple must be fresh! Freezing pineapple destroys the enzymes. (hmmm!)
- Boron is a trace mineral that is very important in the body. It can be found in fruits like plums, red grapes, apples pears and avocados as well as nuts and legumes. Dried fruits like plums have an even higher count of boron.
Foods to Eliminate from your life (for now anyway)
- Fats (bad)
- no red meat
- no dairy
- caffeine
- citrus fruits (bummer! I love grapefruits)
- paprika
- salt
- sugar
- night shade veggies like: eggplant (ugh!) peppers tomatoes (OH NO!) and white potatoes (What are those? it's been about 15 years since I had one!)
*These foods contain solanine, which to some people with arthritis are very sensitive. Solanine interferes with enzymes in the muscles and may cause pain and discomfort.
Here are some tips to help alleviate discomfort:
- take a hot shower in the morning to loosen tight muscles
- cold gel packs
- alternate with heat packs
- hot tubs (sure, I have one, lol)
- get regular exercise!
Supplement recommendations: ( this was an eye opener for me as well) I need to get some new supps for my cabinet!
- Omega-3 fatty acids (which I take but will increase my dosage even more)
- GLA(Gamma lineolic Acid) which is an omega-6 fatty acid which could ease pain
- Free form amino acid com complex-(from Amino balance Anabol naturals)
- Glutamine (which I took for years and then stopped. WHY!?!?)
So my friends, there you have it! I hope this helps you as it did me!
:O) Always looking out for my friends!
Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment