www.Runnersworld.com
www.marathonrookie.com
www.coolrunning.com
www.halhigdon.com
The biggest thing I learned is to have patience. I can't stress enough to you how important this is if you really want to do this race or run for many years to come as I do. I didn't just start running crazy long runs in the beginning. I did programs where I would walk/run for a certain amount of time. I worked my way up gradually. I logged EVERY THING I did in a journal. In that journal I pre-wrote what my run would be that day. Then I would log the time of day I ran, how I felt after the run, and what my time & distance where. I worked my way from 2 runs a week to NOW running 4 times a week. One of the 4 runs is always my longest run and that usually takes place on a Saturday or Sunday.
As soon as I was running for 30 minutes comfortably, I signed up for a 5K. That was my first running milestone. I did Suzannah's Run at Todd's Point in Greenwich CT back in October of 09....3 months into my running journey. I did pretty amazing for my first race! I finished 3 miles in 27 minutes! Whoo hoo! I thought that was HUGE. At that point, I didn't imagine I would be training for a 1/2 marathon.
Over the next 4 months, I just kept being consistent with my patience. In February, I decided to snoop on the internet for some upcoming races. I found the 13.1 Inaugural NY race in Flushing Queens NY on April 3, 2010. Without a thought, I signed up! As soon as I paid for that race, In my mind I was ready to challenge myself and do this race.
Let me back up to July. I knew that I had to train myself differently, and start doing things I haven't done in the past, like become BEST friends with the FOAM ROLLER and matt! I had to learn how to stretch and take my time! Always in a rush, I would workout and leave in a FLASH.... Those days are gone.
Instead of working one body part per day, I started doing total body workouts on the days I was not running. I focus now on exersises that help me to be a more efficient runner. I do super high reps and work a lot of balance and cordination. I also focus on my back a lot. Having a super strong back helpw ith your posture as you run.
Taking a full day off per week is my usual routine, but if I am really exhausted, I listen to my body and instead of doing a full body workout, I stay home and rest. You may find that between your workouts and runs, your legs are always tired (NOT SORE) just tired. That is another sign to rest! If you are interested in some workouts I have done, please email me, I can send them to you. iluvfitness@Gmail.com
Your long runs are so important as this run builds up your endurance. I made a great play list for my iPod, made sure about 2 hours before the run, I drank a lot of water and didn't eat so much. When you are doing long runs, you are running at a nice pace, just cruising. Don't worry about your pace per mile in the beginning, JUST RUN. I remember when my long run was 7 miles, boy did I think that was hard, but then when I was doing 12 mile long runs, I couldn't believe my legs were actually running! WOW! It's amazing how your body gets so strong and efficient when you train it properly.
Diet is JUST as important as your water intake. BOTH are huge factors in your running. I am a strict vegan, so I don't have any animals in my body! I feel like it makes me lighter. I don't believe nor did I ever believe in carb loading. Carbo-loading is an approach to building energy reserves that is sometimes employed with competitive sports or endurance training. The basic idea of carbo-loading is attributed to Gunvar Ahlborg, a scientist residing in Sweden during the 1960’s. Ahlborg developed the concept that if the glycogen reserves of the body were thoroughly depleted, the body would be able to store additional stores of glycogen if a huge amount of carbohydrates were consumed immediately after the period of depletion was complete.
I just stick with my normal eating routine whether it's a 7 mile run or a 13.1 mile run. I know my body and it's relationship with food better than ANYONE. I didn't feel the need to do a carbo load the night before my race. As a matter of fact, I had my biggest meals on Thursday instead, consisting of salads, veggie burgers, beans, brown rice pasta and more veggies. Tell you what- Friday I didn't feel any more energized then normal. Don't think you need to have a ton of pasta the night before. You should however eat moderate amounts of carbs for several days BEFORE the race. Carbs top off your glycogen supply (Your muscles biggest energy source)....um, if you overdo those carbs, you will be visiting with the porta potty during your race! :O)
The day of the race, I KNEW I was ready. I wasn't worried about the 13.1 mile run ahead of me. I was concerned with the fact that I had to pace myself. I am used to running by myself so I compete with no one but me. Once I was at the start, The competitive "tina" popped out and started to sprint with the big boys. That was a big mistake! I should have started nice and slow and just cruised for a few miles.
My advice: Leave you EGO at the start and just run nice and easy in the beginning. Save your speed for the last few miles. If you feel sluggish during your run and you see water being held out for you, GRAB IT! DON'T stop running, because once you do, it's hard to get momentum again. Instead of stopping just scale back on cruise control again until you are ready to run faster.
I thought I was Mrs. Marathon girl when the race started, I sprinted the first 6 miles keeping up with the big boys....come to find at mile 8 my hip flexors were PISSED at me. They locked up! Don't do what I did! Remember, YOU ARE RUNNING YOUR RACE! DON'T try to keep up with anyone else! It's your race, your journey.


1 comment:
This was a great post...it is making me think about my half marathon and if I'm really ready for it. I'm afraid of reinjuring my hip flexor since you mentioned it...and I really haven't been training the way I should have been. Thanks for writing this...really made me think...
Post a Comment