Total Pageviews

Monday, March 29, 2010

Final week.

Well, it's finally here! YIKES! My race is on Saturday. I feel that I have trained 220%! I have focused on running a 1/2 marathon since July and the time has finally come. I only selected this race in February. Man time flies. I think this week is the most crucial time of training. It's the same with Figure Competitions (way back when). You prep for 12 weeks sometimes longer, but everything you do in  the 6 days before your even are what makes or breaks your special day.

This has meant so much to me personally. I took on running back in July, because my doctor told me I should NEVER run, jump or squat again. Having arthritis in both knees as well as my left ankle, he SHOULD be right, but nah! I listen to my heart and body. I took the necessary steps to get my legs overall stronger. I payed attention to the things I never did in  the past such as the FOAM ROLLER, STRETCHING, DYNAMIC STRETCHING and breathing. From That day at the Dr office, I went home and completely switched up my workouts, my attitude and my focus.

I connected with GOD as you most know. I started praying. I started to have conversations with GOD as I would run or walk, sit in my house, lay in bed, etc. Wherever I go, He would be on my shoulder watching over me, helping me find my way towards complete happiness, CALM, and inner strength.

I believe that Running takes the MOST inner strength and heart. I have NEVER been a confident little girl, teenager, young woman and to now a grown woman. I have come so far in 9 months. I have overcome so many of my own inner obstacles. Like most of you who are reading  this, I have these voices in my head that USED to tell me that I CAN'T, I SHOULDN'T, I WON'T, I AM NOT STRONG ENOUGH and or I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH DRIVE AND DETERMINATION.

That's until NOW. I feel as though I have proved so much to myself in these 9 months. I now know that I CAN DO WHATEVER it is that I want to, no matter what it is. I Feel so empowered and free! Signing up for this race means that I am READY to complete yet another challenge I gave myself. 

Most of all, what gives me the most warmth in my heart is the fact that MORE WOMEN have approached me in the last 9 months then EVER in my life. I have motivated each of you who read this blog. I say this: If I can conquer some of the most depressing things in my life, and come out to this person I am now....Then I know that any of you reading this CAN and SHOULD do whatever you wish, desire, and whatever you set your mind to.

I run because I feel free. It's my time with the big man upstairs. It's my time to RELEASE any negativity, and throw it away. When I am running, my heart is light, I am smiling and just full of gratitude and love.

It's pretty amazing that after all these years, I found myself! I really FOUND MYSELF! 38 years later!


I must also say that without a lot of you supporting me in this new endeavor, I probably wouldn't be AS STRONG.  Each of you have touched my mind and heart in some way, so I thank you.


This week is all about focus and preparation.

Here are some tips I found while searching for prep week before a marathon:


  • In the days leading up to the race, you'll be tapering your training, but keep eating the same amount of carbohydrates or slightly more, so that your body will store them.  Don't wait until the night before to carbo-load!
  • You're better off eating lots of carbs at lunch the day before a race than at dinner. I sleep better if I don't overeat at night anyway, and falling asleep before a big race is always tough.
  • In the two to four hours before your race, fill up on protein and simple carbohydrates and drink lots of water or sports drink.  The more time until the race, the larger your meal should be.  Avoid fiber and fats, since they can cause digestion issues. Don't try anything new on race day!
  • Some good pre-race foods: bread, bagel, cereal, fruit, smoothie, low-fat milk, low-fat cheese, peanut or almond butter (not too much though).  The more liquid and easier-to-digest these foods are, the better.
  • In the hour before the race, don't eat very much. Some water, sports drink, or energy gels are good now.  I don't even drink much water at this stage, to avoid having to use the bathroom during the race.
  • During a race, you need 30-60 grams of carbs per hour and about a cup of water every fifteen minutes. Avoid dangerous over hydration (hyponatremia) by drinking sports drinks with sodium and/or additional sodium supplementation.  One sign of over hydration is bloating, noticeable as swelling around rings, watches, socks, etc.
  • After a race, get protein and carbs into your body as quickly as possible.  Some think a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein is best (chocolate milk has close to this ratio).
  • Throughout the day, continue to get high-carb, moderate protein nutrition, drinking lots of water or sports drink to replenish fluids.
Well, I had a KICK ASS 6 mile run in 57 minutes! Yahoo!!!!!!!! I feel great, off to get a manicure!
XOXO




1 comment:

Mary M said...

Whoo HOOOOOOOOOO its time to SHINE girl! I know you will be smiling from ear to ear with that confident empowerment....Tina...YOU did it!!!! YOU did this girl.....I am super proud of you and know this is just the beginning of many successes in life for you! There is nothing more FREEING than the confidence and pure joy of being HAPPY truly happy with yourself and your life!

I love you and wish you the BEST this week and weekend!

Take photos and post!

XO