Everytime I run there is a routine I have before and after. Before I run, I do dynamic warm ups and foam roll my IT band. AFter I run I get on the floor and stretch an foam roll my IT band some more.
Although I am very religious about this, sometimes things JUST HAPPEN.
In a panic, last week I thought I damaged my knee, but realized the pain wasn't coming from there, it was coming from along side my knee and from behind- almost in my hamstring.
After asking somone what they thought and then another, I have come to the conclusion it's IT BAND SYNDROME.
Iliotibial band syndrome is a knee injury where it's on the outer side of the knee. The iliotibial band is a layer of connective tissue beginning at a muscle near the outer side of the hip, and travels down the outer side of the thigh, crossing the outer side of the knee and attaching to the outer side of the upper shin bone (tibia).
Iliotibial band syndrome is caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band as it slides over the outside portion of the knee during repetitive bending, resulting in inflammation in this area. Some studies have identified potential risk factors for the development of iliotibial band syndrome including preexisting iliotibial band tightness; high weekly mileage; time spent walking or running on a track; interval training; and muscular weakness of the knee, hip, or pelvis.
Iliotibial band syndrome is caused by excessive friction of the distal portion of the iliotibial band as it slides over the outside portion of the knee during repetitive bending, resulting in inflammation in this area. Some studies have identified potential risk factors for the development of iliotibial band syndrome including preexisting iliotibial band tightness; high weekly mileage; time spent walking or running on a track; interval training; and muscular weakness of the knee, hip, or pelvis.
When I try to describe where the pain is, it's kind of difficult to pint to one area, but it's definitley outside of my right knee and the size of my palm.
Over time continued activity, the initial pain progresses into a more painful, sharp, and localized irritation. Typically, the pain begins after the completion of a run or several minutes into a run or another long-distance activity. However, as the iliotibial band becomes increasingly irritated, the symptoms typically begin earlier in an exercise session and can even occur when the person is at rest. I notice pain when I sit for a long time and my knee is bent or after 1.5 miles of running even at a slow pace.
You can't ignore the pain and if you're anythig like me, you want it gone so you can continue to run. You have to start with selecting proper footwear, icing the area of pain, and beginning a stretching routine. Limiting excessive training, resting for a period of time, and incorporating low-impact cross-training activities may also help. I use Anti-inflammatory medications like Naproxen or advil to help decrease the inflammatory response around the area of irritation. I am also reaching out to a specialist just for a THIRD opinion!
It's been about 2 weeks that I feel this pain and I am ready to NOT feel it ever again, but in the mean time, I will scale back, probably not run and ice rest ice rest some more.
I can't stress enough the importance of warming up properly and doing exercises that keep your legs super healthy!

No comments:
Post a Comment