Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Why did I choose to be a SUPER HERO!?


I know that being a Vegan isn't for everyone, but I must tell you that lately I have talked to lots of people who tell me they  want to "TRY" to be a vegetarian to start and then maybe venture over into the VEGAN world. Most people think it's too hard or they don't think they have enough focus and willpower to follow through. For me, I'm not going to lie- It was easier than I thought, and literally once I started (thanks the The Kind Diet-by Alicia Silverstone), I never looked back. There were times in the past year that I thought about eating an egg white here or there, but after watching some videos on the PETA website, the thought lasted about 3 seconds, and I moved on and ate something else!

If you are NOT interested in becoming a Vegan, maybe you should not read my blog today, and come back tomorrow. Since I get lots of questions and emails about my experience so far, I am here to answer those questions. Maybe PETA should contact me to model naked for them- HA! Pamela Anderson would be out of a job! Kidding!

Why did I become a Vegan?I will say once again that this lifestyle isn't for everyone, especially if you LOVE meat.

But there are some reasons, for the rest of us, to consider it, and these are just a few —

1. Cut the fat. While meat provides a lot of protein, it also provides a ton of fat — especially saturated fat. Which means that by cutting out meat, you’ll be cutting out a lot of bad fat, and replacing it with things that are probably not only lower in fat, but that contain some good fats. This greatly reduces your risk of heart disease, and in fact numerous studies have shown that vegetarians tend to have a lower risk of heart disease, as well as hypertension, diabetes, cancer and other diseases. Oh and let me add, when I did eat meat, it was organic grass fed no antibiotics....um, I still didn't feel my best! I was eating boneless skinless chicken breast, 99% fat free white ground turkey, and filet mignon- that's it!

2. Save your Earth. There are actually numerous ways that the meat industry harms the environment, from a waste of our resources (animals raised for food eat enough grain to feed the world), to a waste of fuel, to the pollution caused by their waste matter, and much more.



3. Animal suffering. The  horrific treatment of animals that are raised for food, even before they are slaughtered for our benefit. 


4.Speedy weight loss if done correctly. It’s possible to be vegetarian and eat very unhealthy foods, including Coke and fries and fried stuff and pizza and chips. But it’s much more difficult. Studies repeatedly show that vegetarians are slimmer and are less likely to be obese than meat eaters. If you’re trying to lose weight, being a vegetarian can be a good part of your program. Remember, I am a vegan who does NOT eat fake meat, processed foods, junk, candy pizza or fries. My diet is plant based filled with lots of grains, nuts beans, fruits and veggies. Yes, I say that with my head held high! 

5. Better sources of nutrition. In general (though not necessarily), vegetarians replace meat with more nutritious foods, such as fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains, and so on. If you do that, you will be getting more of the nutrients your body needs, giving you better health, less illness, and more energy.


No comments: