Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Almost didn't make it!

Waking up at 4:30 in the morning is rough, I won’t deny it. It’s not as if I can just jump up  and find myself alert happy and ready to conquer the day. When booking a vacation, I always like to be on the EARLIEST flight to where ever we are going- That’s just me. I chose to book our flights to Bermuda at 7:30 am leaving JFK on a Tuesday, which meant we would get up at 4:30, gather our things, make breakfast, and tidy up the house. The car service was set to pick us up at 5:15am. We were ready and our bags were on the front curb. 5:25 comes and NO ONE is driving up our block and no one is waiting for us. We call the number of the car service and long story short, the guy OVERSLEPT! SERIOUSLY!?!? 

AT this point, Mario is beyond upset, grabs his car keys, shoves our bags in his trunk and OFF we go! We made it in GREAT time! He pulled up to the front and I grab the bags and hop on line.... ONLY to find we missed the flight! Due to the fact that it’s an international flight, they close the gates an hour before take off. Mario gets on the phone with Jet Blue to get us on another flight. Only thing they had was for us to fly to Boston, and connect to a flight that goes to Bermuda. Ok, so NOW, is when I want to cry, scream, and rip the idiots head off (our driver).  Then I remembered what I have been taught in my religion RCIA class, which was to never stress or get upset about things you have no control over, but instead, stay calm, say a prayer and God will handle the rest. I said a few prayers, and remained calm. We wait on line for another 30 minutes and finally get to the check in counter. The woman at the counter was INCREDIBLE. SO calm, so caring and really helped us out. 

Another long story short, The flight we missed had to turn around and come back in because someone on the plane was sick (a young boy) probably got anxiety about flying. The woman at the counter called over to the supervisor and asked if we could hop on our original flight- YEP! We are on!!!! Seriously! I don’t think there is another airline that would have gone through the hoops this woman did. It wasn’t just her though, it was her supervisor and another supervisor- a TEAM effort! They couldn’t have been nicer! When we walked us over to the gate, Mario & I both hugged her and thanked her. She was so sweet. Sitting on the plane now, typing this post, I am reflecting about the morning and our chaos to get here, I realize that once again, my teachers were right (RCIA). Having a bad attitude, getting stressed or getting angry won’t change what happened. Staying calm and just being patient in the end always wins. God pulled through once again for us. Prayer really does work- The team at Jet Blue was incredible, professional and to be honest they showed us that they really care about their passengers! We always loved flying Jet Blue- but now even more so!

The flight was one hour and forty five minutes. Quick, easy and very COMFY! When we landed I headed to the rest room, and less than five minutes later as I came out, Mario already had our luggage! We walked out the door to face the gorgeous sky and our cab driver. 

These two pics are from the cab driving to the hotel

























"Have a BERMUDA-FUL DAY"


First thing we saw when we pulled in!
As we arrived to our hotel- The Reefs, we both had headaches, probably from morning stress before we got on our flight, and that we were both starving and didn't drink enough water (can you ever?). Our room was ready so I walked in, stripped down, threw on my suit and out the door we went! Coconuts is where we ate lunch which is on the beach. I I had a very tasty dish! We started with nachos (no cheese, no chili), guacamole and salsa, a nice mixed green salad, and Rock Fish which is a local fish here. I had it grilled no salt, no oil or grease and baby bok choy on the side- Very good! 
One of the Pools
 Time for a nap on the beach! It's really HOT here and VERY humid- even though I JUST washed my hair last night, there was NO WAY I wasn't going in this water- It's such a gorgeous greenish- blue-ish color. The temperature was perfect. I love grabbing the sand and exfoliating Mario's back, and my arms, legs and toes! We played for a while in the water, and then headed back to the room for a nap- a VERY WELL NEEDED nap! Interestingly enough, we woke to a crazy storm that came in and out in about 10 minutes....
Our Room

Off to dinner. Can't wait to fill you in on the rest of our trip. How we stay fit, eat clean and enjoy our second trip to Bermuda. I will say this: so far, it's been amazing. Our view is ridiculous, the ocean is VAST as is the sky. Our room is GREAT, spacious and so nice and bright. The shower and bathroom are great! I am a pain in the ass when it comes to hotel rooms on vacation, so sometimes I get a little fussy, and start comparing one hotel to others we have stayed in- but this place is GREAT!

No comments: