I’ve been vegan now for 1 whole year! But who’s counting? A few days ago we went to dinner for Mario's best friends birthday. There were three couples 3 kids and a solo guy! EVERYONE got the steak! Of course, it was a steak house, I think...ALthough I don't pay attention to the MEAT on the menu, I am looking for the most filling salads! Turned out the salad was mostly iceberg lettuce with a few teeny olives, so I also ordered the beet & walnut salad with NO feta... No biggie for me, but boy where the questions flying! A friend of ours was asking me all kinds of questions about my eating habits and being a Vegan. I love to answer the questions and I don't egt uncomfortable, because I know I am educating people at the same time.
I am not going to lie, I LOVE the smell of my meatballs, I love the smell of Salmon when I make it for Mario, and I LOVE the smell of turkey out of the oven... Smelling these foods isn't against what I believe in, so I don't feel guilty! Besides, should I hold my breath!?!? NAH!
In case you’re also experimenting with veganism or are considering it, here are some important things I’ve learned so far:
1. All vegans are not alike. I seem to stand out like a sore thumb amongst my friends and family. No one else eats the way I do, and yes I do get teased but I am ok with that. I know there are so many different types of Vegans out there...There are those who avoid meat, fish and dairy, plus clothing, furnishings, cosmetics and anything else made from living creatures. Then there are those, like myself, who follow the diet but enjoy a beautiful pair of leather boots or my Micheal Kors Parka with the furry hood.To further complicate things, there are those who don’t eat meat or fish but consume dairy (lacto vegans) or eggs (ovo vegans). Combine the two, and you get a lacto-ovo vegan. There are also raw vegans who won’t heat their food beyond 115 degrees F. Me- I keep it simple....Nothing from a mother!
2. This diet takes alot of thought work. At first, i had to keep my favorite book The Kind DIet with me at all times!! I had no idea what I would eat or how I would get the right amount of nutrients in my body!
This lifestyle is a full-time job. It takes a lot of effort to design a meal plan, hours in Whole Foods, to balance nutrients, to cook for my husband, and then myself. Here is the GREAT SIDE of being a Vegan it gets you think about everything you put in your carriage at the food store and your mouth, which is a great lesson for everyone—even if you have no interest in going vegan.
3. Salads and veggie burgers become your default food. Can't get to Whole Foods? I always have mixed greens and Dr. Preagars Veggies burgers in the house. No more Ezekiel bread in the fridge for breakfast? I always have my Vega Protein for Vegans and frozen fruits to make a nutritious Fit Green Goddess Shake!
4. Vegans CAN be very unhealthy people. Believe it or not, Oreos, Twizzlers, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Cracker Jacks, Kool-Aid, and even French Fries and donuts (if made without animal fat) are all vegan. I take a lot if pride in the fact that I NEVER EVER EVER eat these GARBAGE foods! They are loaded with hydrogenated oils, sugar and processed ingredients. YUK! Yeah I do enjoy snacks and little treats, but I enjoy things like goji berries, pistachios and vegan chocolate chips, my very own Glo-Bites, some coconut butter on a Ryvita cracker... Yeah baby! Those are my favs!
5. I take a lot of pride in sayings ‘I’m vegan.’ I find it empowering to preface my dietary demands (in a very nice way) to waiters, bakers and party hostesses when telling them I am Vegan. I find it fun & challenging for restaurants when I ask for the chef to be creative enough with a plate that will leave me satisifed with my meal. Most of the time the waiter or waitress will come back and tell me how the chef ios going to prepare something great for me! SO most of the time I have NO PROBLEMS!
6. I get to eat more and worry about calories less. I eat breakfast, a snack, a post workout shake, another snack and then dinner, but I never measure my food, count calories or fat. I even eat right before bed with no worries!
7. Don’t expect your family treat you any differently. My in-laws are real Italians with real Italian appetites. They want Lasgana, they love meatballs and and they love a HUGE turkey on Thanksgiving! I enjoy seeing them, sitting with them and eating with them, I just don't eat the meat! :O) Everyone is happy!
XO have a fabulous GREEN day!
No comments:
Post a Comment