Last week while I was getting my hair done, I was reading through a magazine and found the article quite interesting and informative! I always read about nutrition to better educate myself as well as YOU, my readers! :O)
The title was "Everything you know about Nutrition is wrong"- Gary Taubes. He argues that calories and fat aren't to blame for the world's increasing sizes, heart disease , diabetes and cancer. He says that Americans could benefit from eating more red meat and eggs because animal meats don't cause cardiovascular disease and weight gain, that what causes weight gain is simple sugars and carbs. When I read this, I HAD to continue reading! I just kept thinking: "how could this be so?" I have gotten my health to be at it's optimal BEST when I eliminated meats, eggs, chicken, fish and poultry! I gained energy, became lean and my body fat dropped from 18% to 9% over 1 year! Ok, so back to what Taubes says.....
Rules: His rules and my opinion...
1. Don't go on a diet- CHANGE your diet!- He says that starving yourself or trying every fad diet out there isn't long lasting! Infact, some diets may work in the beginning, but fail over time and you end up gaining the weight back! YIKES! I totally agree with this as I have seen it time and time again with my clients!
2. Don't eat anything with BHA, BHT , SODIUM NITRATE- Taubes says to shop the periphery of the grocery store, picking out, veggies, fruits, meats fish and dairy. He says to stay away from the fruit juices, canned veggie soups, chicken fingers, fish sticks and ice cream and you will avoid what's wrong with the MODERN WESTERN diet. Packaged processed foods are altered from their natural state for convenience and to extend shelf life, but they contain fewer nutrients and more sugars and unhealthy fats than whole foods do. Most of you who have done meal design plans with me, have heard me BASH processed food, and junk food. You all know how I shop! If you can't pronounce the ingredients on the back of a bag or box, or see words longer then your leg, STAY AWAY! Here are some words you may find (if you do see these words, drop it!)
- Partially Hydrogenated oil
- high-fructose
- corn syrup
![]() |
| Building a better food pyramid |
Here is something SCARY I learned from this article! BHA- Butylated hydroxyanisole which is a food preservative and suspected carcinogen! Oh and if that is not scary enough how about the next time you open a bag of chips, guess what you are ingesting.... BHT- butylated hydroxytoluene- which is a preservative found in potato chips and oh yea um, JET FUEL!!! REALLY PEOPLE!? Really? Are you still eating this crap!?!?!? How about some sodium nitrate which is a chemical found in deli meats that is linked to cancer heart disease and other ailments!
3. Don't count calories- Yes, we all have heard that to lose weight you must burn more calories than you take in..... But Taube says: "the idea that we have to match or exceed the calories we eat with the calories we expend isn't accurate. This concept fails because it measures only how many calories are present in the body at one given time rather than what the body actually does with these calories after they have been consumed. Our bodies vary. Some of store carbs as fat and others use carbs for energy. Interesting because I use up carbs for energy, maybe because I run and I am in the gym 6 days a week? hmmmm, keep reading! The bodie's fat tissue doesn't act like a garbage can, indiscriminately collecting every calorie we toss in. Hormones control whether available calories in the body are stored as fat or as energy. The more you eat of certain foods, the more hormones your body releases, and the more fat your body stores. The more fat your body stores, the more calories you need to feed your fat! I get it! Do you!?!? Keep reading! As a result Taube says: you're not getting fat because you overeat: you overeat because your getting fat. So instead of wasting your time counting calories, how about taking the CRAP out of your diet! I eat about 6-8 times a day snacking on things, but NEVER JUNK or CRAP out of a box! I don't count fat, calories or carbs! I just fuel my tank with the best stuff I can find!
4. Get to know the Glycemic Index! sugar, honey and refined flour make your fat! When you eat carbs, your body breaks them down into sugar which enters your blood. Your pancreas responds to to blood sugar by producing the hormone insulin, which tells your fat cells to hold on to fat and store it. not necessarily as permanent fat though. When every things working right, fat acts more like a wallet than a savings account. Your constantly putting money in and taking it out again. In your body, fat gets stored in cells and released after digestion to ensure steady energy!
Ahh so this is why simple carbs like cake fruit candy and other sweets cause a huge insulin spike! So now I see why when we eat things like this, our fat cells hold on to the accumulated fat simply because there's more sugar and more insulin in the body! YIKES! So, are you chowing on a cookie as you read this? How about some grape juice? Taube says to lose weight, you HAVE to cut back on yoru carbs to push your insulin levels low enough so that is forces your body to release the stored fat that your muscles and organs burn as fuel.
![]() |
| GLYCEMIC INDEX |
Say you want to MANTAIN your weight, LIKE I DO! I can't lose anymore! Complex carbs like whole grains, leafy greens and legumes only produce a moderate effect on blood sugar. All legumes are healthy and high in protein and fiber. Eat these DAILY! However no pasta, no cereal and baked goods as frequently, but when you do eat these, make sure you read the ingredients and look for words like "WHOLE FLOURS" As you know I have some FAV'S, like EZEKIEL BREAD PRODUCTS, Nature's Path cereals. I have been eating brown rice pasta, but I think I am going to try some of Taubes suggestions like Kamut rigatoni's and pasta. I also just tried one of Taubes recipes including Farro! WHOAH! DELISH!
5. Eat meat from Farms NOT factories- You know where I stand on this one, but for you meat eaters, Taube suggests.... eating grass wild fed meats over grain fed meats...Grain fed meats have more fat and less nutrients . Buy organic or local or grass-fed animal products. Look for official organic seals that read: grass-fed, pastured or free-range on labels.visit eat wild .
Eat fish but avoid sword fish and tuna that can be high in mercury. I say if you are using American Tuna which is pole caught tuna fish, you are in great hands! Taube says to eat wild halibut, cod and sole. You can also choose little fish like sardines and mackeral. He suggests for vegetarians or vegans to make sure we get enough protein from tofu, nuts, beans and low-sugar dairy.
![]() |
| top 5 rules for weight loss |
6. Eat leafy greens and bright colored veggies at EVERY MEAL! Among the TOP antioxidant filled veggies Taube says according to the Harvard School of Public Health, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, bok choy and kale are the winners! Don't forget these babies too: tomatoes, bell peppers, summer squash, and eggplants which contain more health-boosting nutrients than their paler counterparts. My diet is 90% veggies, and I am fully aware of all the nutrients I am getting from all my meals. In Jamaica, I had Calaloo (which is the Jamaican version of spinach/kale combined) with egg whites every morning, and I have to say, I was full and my energy was high! Eating all the veggies I do, my fiber is high, leaving me satiated, my blood sugar levels are even, and I intake less sugar than most people I know. Something I learned while reading this article was that if you are feeling sluggish or didn't have enough energy for your workout or run or whatever sport you are participating in, you probably didn't consume ENOUGH complex carbs. Taube says to make veggies a part of EVERY MEAL. He says to avoid the starchy carbs like potatoes, corn and winter squash which all pack a lot of sugar and guess what! Yup, an insulin response! GRR! Make better choices like Sweet potatoes, and instead of mashed potatoes, make mashed cauliflower! SO delish!
7. Put your mind into MINDLESS eating! Are you a mindless eater? I must tell you that your fit green goddess is mindless when snacking sometimes, especially on my vegan chocolate chips and goji berries..They are DANGEROUSLY ADDICTIVE. Taube says to stock up on snacks like nuts, beef jerky, cheese, plain yogurt, low sugar snacks like berries and apples and even energy bars like ....TADA!!! The LARA BAR! YES! Taube likes Lara Bars! I have been recommending these bars for years! I like this guy! He says to reach for things like almond butter, Ryvita crackers and you can even make sweet potato fries!
8. Go easy on the fruit! I wasn't happy when I read this one, but it does make sense! Yes, Taube says fruits are loaded with great nutrients, antioxidants and cancer fighting vitamins, but it shouldn't be your ALL YOU CAN EAT food. MOST fruits causes a large insulin spike. Here are some good choices when picking fruits: apples, cherries, grapefruits, plums, pears, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries. Taube says to eat up to two servings of fruit per day with a small amount of protein or fat to keep your blood sugar levels in check! I have suggested to you all that maybe an apple with 2tbsp. of raw almond butter? How about 2 plums and 1 handful of pistachios? Get it??? High sugar fruits like cantaloupe, pineapple and watermelon are best as an occasional treat. If you like dried fruits, stick to organic and enjoy apricots.
9. Eat some SATURATED fat- Eat more OMEGA-3's. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found no link between saturated fat consumption and incidence of heart attacks. Taube says it's best to rotate your protein sources such as poultry, fish, beef, pork, eggs and plant based protein like Soybeans. If you don't have a history of bad LDL- cholesterol levels, you can probably eat as many eggs as you wish. If you do, limit your eggs to one per day. I usually have 3 egg whites and 1 whole organic Ethical Eggs at a time and probably about 3 times a week. Don't forget to use OLIVE OIL and AVOCADOS! INCREDIBLE sources of Omega- 3 fats!
![]() |
| ORGANIC is the way to go! |
10. LEARN TO COOK! Nothing makes me happier to than to cook for my family every night! I love knowing what is going in their bodies! I guess I'm just a MOMMA at heart! Taube says if you want to eat and live well, learn to cook. Processed foods play no role in fine cooking and simple carbs are usually NOT the main ingredients in most HIGH-QUALITY recipes. Invest in GREAT cook books. Attend cooking classes. You can also try all my recipes on my blog! Cooking is creating art that you can eat! I LOVE IT!
So, my mind was spinning from reading this article as I found it so helpful...especially the part about fruit! I noticed while on my 9 day Isagenix cleanse, and not having all that fruit, I felt better, my skin was more tight and I was more defined.... hmmmm. This Taube, he may be on to something! I am also considering intaking SOME sources of protein from animals, but not quite there yet. The eggs took me a long time, so we will see! I do tend to crave tuna fish and egg whites mostly, so I may have to try the American Tuna and see how I feel.....
What do you think of this article? Has it answered any questions for you?




2 comments:
Interesting article- thanks for sharing! :)
I thought this article was extremely informative! Thanks Tina! :)
Post a Comment