Total Pageviews

Friday, March 25, 2011

One week till race day..

Should I do it or not??? DO I want to race? MORE THAN ANYTHING! This morning driving to work, I saw t his young girl sprinting up North Street in Greenwich CT, and I wanted to cry. Having these Arthritis attacks in my joints is really starting to take a toll on me. I had an attack about 3 months ago, laid off of running for 4 weeks, and it went away, so I started running again eventually getting to my long run of 10 miles....then suddenly without warning I got another attack on the same knee different side. NOT meniscus, not patella, they were ruled out! I keep getting visits from "ART", I call him, which is arthritis. I have been in serious pain for about 3 weeks now, so at any point the pain should suddenly dissapear. If it were a dull pain I would run through it, but I am no dummy, I have to lay off! Nothing helps, and I can't take aleve or naproxen because it makes me run to the bathroom all day. So when I asked the Doc what to do? She said listen to your body, lay off and strengthen the muscles around your knee....OK DOC!

I am not rulling OUT the race, because if the pain subsides by this weekend, I will try one long slow run by Monday and see how I do.....Only one problem with me....I compete with myself. Last year I kicked ass, but this year I want heads to spin. I was aiming for 1:45 as my time, but NOT sure 100% that I can achieve this with so much time off. I have been doing the bike, arc trainer and the step mill, all of which work my legs hard, but the running really pulls every ounce of endorphins out of my body! AHHHH!

I am taking today TOTALLY off, just to get a feel for what goes on in my knee....I worked my whole body 100% this week, and didn't slack. I am getting an MRI today, hopefully if they can squeeze me in, just to rule out Meniscus issues. Say a prayer for me!

No comments: