Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Spelt apple and walnut muffins

Spelt Apple & walnut muffins

I love creating new recipes as you all know! I love to take a really bad and fattening sugary recipe and make it my own- The Fit Green Goddess way! SO I saw this muffin recipe and decided to give it a try. Boy was I happy I did! I couldn't resist sinking my teeth into one while they were pipping HOT! DELISH! The best part of me creating a certain recipe is that from there, what I add to the recipe next time is endless!

This batch made 12 muffins


SUPER nutritious and so irresistible!



Ingredients:

For the yummy topping:
  • 3 tbsp date sugar- instead of SUGAR
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup spelt flour- instead of flour





For the muffins:
  • 4 green apples peeled and shredded
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil- instead of safflower oil
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup almond milk- instead of regular milk
  • 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
  • 1/2 cup date sugar-instead of white sugar
  • 3.5 cups spelt flour-instead of white flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
How to make:
Preheat the oven to 350. Either spray your muffin tray with Pam cooking spray or use the paper muffin liners, I forgot to use mine- DUH!
In a mixing bowl, mix the ingredients for teh yummy topping and set aside.
In another mixing bowl, add the oil, syrup, almond milk, Apple CIder Vinegar, and vanilla.

In the thrid bowl, add the walnuts and the date sugar, the spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and mix well.
Whisk the wet inigredients together slowly adding to the dry ingredients. If the batter is a little too stiff, you may add a little more almond milk. Fold in the apples.

Scoop out a spoonful for each muffin cup, and top with the yummy topping.
I cooked mine for 18 minutes and they were PERFECT! Each of your ovens are different, so the best way is to stick a knife in the middle of one and if it comes out dry....well then they are done!
If you are strong enough to wait about 39 minutes before eating one, then you are stronger than me! They are DELICIOUS when they are HOT!

No comments: