Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fator carbs during cardio & workout

Am I burning carbs or fat when I workout or do cardio? well, let's see... The amount of carbs, you need is determined by the intensity of your workout or cardio of choice.  I know a lot of people who do NOT workout with ENOUGH intensity, especially when they are looking to lose weight. They think if they get on a machine and move at a slow pace for 2 hours they are going to lose weight. NOT!When determining YOUR proper intensity, you need to determine your Target heart rare DURING yoru workout or cardio session. for

With cardio, many people want to lose weight, so the first thing on their minds is to do LOTS and LOTS of cardio. REMEMBER, the HIGHER intensity, the more calories you will burn! It's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.  Let's not forget the MAIN benefit of cardio which is to optimize the health of your cardiovascular system. I know my clients and most of my friends- including myself....We DO NOT HAVE HOURS AND HOURS to do cardio. We have very busy lives. We need to burn the most amount of calories in the LEAST AMOUNT OF TIME! If you do have many hours to spend doingcardio well then , the lower intensity exercise will work. I just can't see ANYONE wanting to be in a gym on a machine for 2 hours! YUKE!  I always send out HIIT workouts to my clients and friends via email. Short spurts of HIIT will get you burning more fat quicker! Who doesn't love that!?!

At higher intensities (>75% of maximal heart rate), you will burn a combination of fat and carbohydrates and your overall calorie expenditure is much greater than at lower intensities.  At lower intensity (<65% of maximal heart rate), the overall percentage of fat burned compared to total caloric expenditure is higher but the overall calories burned are much lower.

 If you want to lose weight, you should be more concerned about the total calories burned, unless you have lots of time on your hands to exercise at a lower intensity so as I say, who has hours and hours to spend on the treadmill? Don't you have better things to do?


I have always worn a POLAR heart rate monitor. I think it's a great way to gage your fitness level, accurate amount of calories burned and where your heart rate is. This is the POLAR FT40. I just got this about a month ago. Polar FT40F Heart Rate Monitor

It is programmed to my body by my height and weight. Once the transmitter is strapped to my chest (under), it picks up my heart beats and tracks them as well. I LOVE to see how many calories I burned, how long it took and watch my heart rate go up and down.



If you look on treadmills and other cardio machines in your gyms, you will see a little chart where they use a formula which isn't the BEST formula, but it's something like this:

  220 minus your age :  220 – 42 (age) X 70% = 125.  In this example, your heart rate should be 125 beats per minute during exercise, which is too low.

The more accurate formula to determine your target heart rate uses your resting heart rate to determine your target heart rate during exercise.  The average resting heart rate for an adult is 72 beats per minute (to find your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one minute before you get out of bed)

 The more accurate formula is 220, less your age, less your resting heart rate, multiplied by your intensity percentage, plus your resting heart rate.
 – so here is what is looks like in plain English:  220 – 42 (age) – 72 (resting heart rate) X 70% + 72 (resting heart rate) = 146 beats per minute.  The above formua was underestimated by 20 beats per minute with the more commonly used formula.

So, if you are looking to lose that chunky butt, that muffin top or those jello arms, YOU BETTER GET TO WORK! INVEST in a POLAR HEART RATE MONITOR and BE your OWN COACH!!!!!!!!! NO ONE can give you the body you want- you must WORK HARD and get it yourself!
 

No comments: