Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

QUINOA- Get it in your belly!

                 


I think about 6 years ago, we were introduced to Quinoa, but I can't remember how. I believe I was strollinig down the isles of Whole Foods and stumbled upon a box of Quinoa. I remember looking at those tiny little white pellets thinking, "hmmmm, Is this like COUS COUS? Pastina? I had to buy it...and i think it stayed in my cabinet for a few weeks before I pulled it out, but before I did, I had to do some research on this tiny little NUTRIENT PACKED little seed, and was blown away!
We now 6 years later have QUINOA over brown rice anyday, and it's so versatile, we eat it at breakfast lunch or dinner...Sometimes, I will pull some out of the fridge and just eat it plain out of the container (cooked ofcourse)


Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is an ancient food that is starting to catch on in the US! It has been cultivated in South American Andes since at least 3,000 B.C. and has been a staple food of millions of native inhabitants. The ancient Incas called quinoa the "mother grain" and think of it as SACRED.

The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine.


The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. Some types of wheat come close to matching quinoa's protein content, but grains such as barley, corn, and rice generally have less than half the protein of quinoa. Quinoa is 12% to 18% protein and four ounces a day, about 1/2-cup, will provide a child's protein needs for one day. The 6-7% fat of quinoa is relatively high when compared to other grains, but it boasts a low sodium content and also provides valuable starch and fiber. Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. This is great for me especially since I am a VEGAN!




 Quinoa is great for anyone with gluten sensitivity as well! It's gluten free!
Anyone looking to eat healthier, and eat great quality sources of protein and complex carbs should definitely introduce quinoa to their diets.

Cooked quinoa is excellent in soups, stir-fries, eaten cold or in salads. I have used it in almost everything, except my Fit Green Goddess Shakes!

In a rice cooker, quinoa cooks super fast...Sometimes for extra flavor, I will use 1 cup of water and 1 cup of veggie broth. Cold salads consisting of quinoa and chopped vegetables or cooked beans make a quick, easy, and nutritious dish.

I have also substitutedQuinoa flour is used in making things like cupcakes and deserts or  pancakes and muffins.

One of my favorite dishes in the Spring and summer is Quinoa with scallions, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and lemon juice. Here is the recipe:

1 cup cooked quinoa
diced scallions (i use a lot as I love them)
5 cherry tomatoes diced very small
5 tbsp low-fat feta cheese
1/2 cup dried organic cranberries
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice

Mix well and serve as a main dish (i would do this for me) or as a side dish...and it goes GREAT with a nice piece of lemon & parsley marinated wild grilled salmon.

for more excellent recipes using this super food, check out quinoa recipes.

No comments: